Saturday, October 20, 2007

Headin to the North Country

Greetings to all-
This weekend my training group are up in Kara which is in the the second most northern region of Togo. The landscape and weather has changed dramatically as we went North. Its flatter and drier. The farther north you go, the more "African" it looks. You can see for miles and the view is spotted with winding trees and a blush sky. Our field trip has been physically and emotionally draining. It took seven hours in a bush taxi to get up here, bouncing the entire time on the best road Togo has. We have visited several volunteers in their villages and it is so encouraging to see some incredible projects in progess. Yesterday evening we got the chance to speak with about 20 people living with HIV. Most of them were Islamic women and their children. It was so powerful.
I want to apologize right now to everyone for Trace and I. It is very difficult to go to the internet cafes and try to write whats going on around us if a few minutes. I know you may be anxious to hear more from us, but we are doing are best.
My ride is here! Sorry for the abrupt ending.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Bon jour. I just caught up with your October entries. They make me bawl - how typical! I love reading them. I'm sure everyone understands that you are busy. We just love hearing any morsel. Take care jane

Mom said...

It is good to hear from you again. Sounds like you are having an exciting time! Tim and I love you and will talk to you soon.

Wild Bill said...

Well it sure is great to hear from you two fine folks. It's so comforting to hear the great stories and experiences you are having. I can only imagine some of the dreams you are having Kat, and Mac, your stories of you and your friend George conjur up some smile inducing images in my head. I spoke with your mom tonight for about fifteen minutes and she gave me a pretty healthy update about you two. I gave her my address but I will also include it here. 4 west clark vermillion, sd 57069. It is amazing to hear the fine stories and the most interesting writing by both of you. so keep it coming if you can. love you both, take care...Billy

Kyra19 said...

Hey Katweeny I just got done reading all you blogs and it sounds like our having fun. Well I hope to hear from you guys again soon and stay out of trouble. Love you both xoxo Kyra