Sunday, February 10, 2008

An open letter to Austin and Sarah (and any future Peace Corps Volunteers of America)

A few days before leaving for Togo, I sat down with a bloke who served in Ghana sometime in the 90’s. I was hungry for knowledge. I wished he could impart his cumulative wisdom upon me before our departure, lest I commit the same blunders upon arrival.
“What do I need to know?” I pried. I meant business. I wasn’t looking for a sugarcoated exposé I could read on the Peace Corps website.
“Well, in the Peace Corps you understand, there are certain truths that hold true across the globe.”
“Ah ha…do tell.”
“Number one. When taking public transport, demand a window seat.”
I suppose I could further pontificate on this bloke’s analysis. A personal story was even added for dramatic effect. But we need not muck around in the minute details. Take the window seat.
“Ah ha…Yes! That’s great advice.”
“Number two. Do not waist your time throwing a tantrum after you have an accident in your pants. Consider it a right of passage, if you will.”
“You mean, I’m going to…I haven’t done that since …”
“—yes, sometime in the span of two years, you are bound to eat something causing your bowels to give way.”
“Ah ha…Yes! I suppose it very probable that I should put on quite an exhibition after messing myself. Not now. I’ll just learn to turn the other cheek.”
“Very good. Number three. If someone gives you food, and this is especially detrimental concerning meat, inquire about it’s origins before eating. What looks like tender cutlet of beef could in fact be…well, could be something entirely different than a beef cutlet.”
Ah ha…Yes! Inquire about food origins. This is great stuff man!”
Now, in this sacred scroll of Peace Corps tidbits, there may have been more truths to unveil, but we were at a football game you see, and the home team just recovered a fumbleroosky and took one to the house! Not only that, but after the calamity and roar died down, this bloke’s younger brother started peddling him for beer money. Thus, our exchange was irreversibly diverted away from West Africa.
But now I’m here. I’ve gotten a taste, a feel, a smell, a touch of this place. A nice whiff if you will. Although I am still verdant to the way life rolls here, I’ll peak inside my small knapsack of cumulative wisdom and attempt to finish the truths never fully expounded to me.
Number four: A crowded football stadium is not an ideal forum for discourse concerning Peace Corps Service. This should, at all costs, be avoided. Consider a coffee shop, tea house, or late-night diner.
Number five: Bring five things you think you’ll miss. Of course, it’s tough to tell what you will and won’t miss. For me, I’m really glad I brought a pair of blue jeans. I was considering leaving them at home. I never knew how glad I would be to put on a clean pair of Levis after a shower. It’s great!
Number six: Get a hobby. Two years of relative isolation equals you should develop a decent hobby. A buddy of mine here has a knot book. He learns a new knot every day. You have to ask yourself, why not knot?
Number seven: When the time comes, spend solid time in your community. With frustrations ranging from huge to enormous here, it’s really easy to come off sounding horribly pessimistic when talking about your post, even if life doesn’t suck that bad (See last sentence). It’s much easier than I ever would have thought to slip into a steady pattern of doom and gloom. Thus far, spending more time with Togolese has meant increased enthusiasm for our work here. Spending time with other volunteers has not always meant the same.
Number eight: The more flexible you are, the less likely you are to be upset. If you arrive in country and demand electricity or some other amenity and don’t get it, it can be potentially damaging to your psyche. Besides, reading by candlelight is more pleasurable, right? Right.
Very good. Like a worrisome mother giving last second advice to her son before college, there are a gazillion other things I could probably say. Bring addresses of friends back home. Buy a warranty for your electronics. Did you remember your fingernail clippers? How about extra razors?
And so on. Well, all the best the two of you. Right now, there’s a Malawian community eagerly waiting your arrival. Best of luck!
Ah yes, I almost forgot one last thing. It’s a must.
Number nine: Go to De Leon’s this very moment and buy the most daunting burrito they have. Order extra hot sauce. Double the meat.
If not for you, for me.

6 comments:

Austin & Sarah said...

Hey Trace & Katrina,

Thanks for the words of wisdom! And we'll have you know, the burrito was scrumptious! At this point, the nerves have subsided and now we're pretty much ready to go, just need to say our goodbye's and get on the plane. Our blog is malawiwowi.blogspot.com. We'll stay in touch and look forward to sharing advice, stories and adventures.

Austin & Sarah

Josh Norman said...

Hi,
I was a volunteer in Togo from 2000-2002, and I might have an opportunity to come back there with my wife (who is, FYI, neither a RPCV nor an African) this fall.
I lived in Assoli prefecture, just east of Bafilo. I was hoping to get in touch with whomever is a volunteer in that region, preferably near my old village. I heard there might be someone in Gande right now.
Anyway, I am writing you because I was hoping you might either be able to forward this email to that person, or perhaps let them know I would like to talk to/email with them before planning my trip. I promise to reward you with a New Orleans-themed care package if you can get me in touch with whichever volunteer is there now.
My email is bageltogo@yahoo.com.
Thanks.
-Josh Norman

Anonymous said...

Cool web site, I had not come across katmac-togo.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Continue the excellent work!

Anonymous said...

J.J. Watt Texans Jersey axiotakix
Andrew Luck Nike Jersey axiotakix
Peyton Manning Limited Jersey axiotakix
http://www.nikecowboysnflstore.com

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.uggsoutletsite.co.uk/]www.uggsoutletsite.co.uk[/url][/b] Alas, eBay distributors aren??£¤t taking into consideration to reveal their personal resources on your specifications and that's capable liable these? You can merely bet they'll didn??£¤t acquire low-cost genuine purses primarily by carrying out any Google lookup. Most correct wholesalers pertaining to genuine Chanel purses and purses don??£¤t make independently so uncomplicated to obtain. The you would possibly locate on-line are significantly more attainable to provide inexpensive bump off artist purses not the first matter.

[b][url=http://www.cheapuggbootsukwebsite.co.uk/]ugg boots clearance[/url][/b] There is certainly this type of a extensive collection of those Louis Vuitton bags reproduction which is able to demand a great do the job for you to just take your opt for. A shopping understanding on this great site goes to revolutionize the full notion of acquiring replicas. These reproduction bags are on par using the special don't just with regards to bodily visual appeal, but in addition in high quality and sturdiness.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonpursesale.com/]www.louisvuittonpursesale.com[/url][/b] The designer handbags use a luxurious resort. Include a touch of magnificence to your persona. When you'll find other accessories that may give a chic glance, though the aura on the purses is one of her classes, a lot of famous stars and celebs are spotted with carrying luxury designer handbags, like Coach purses, Louis Vuitton handbags, Gucci purses, and many others.

[b][url=http://www.cheapuggbootsonlinesales.co.uk/]www.cheapuggbootsonlinesales.co.uk[/url][/b] Solid Get in touch with To Action: The moment folks have discovered your site and wish to complete enterprise along with you tell them what their up coming action must be which has a robust "call to action". Key or important facts should be very easy to access within several clicks and organized inside of a way that is certainly easy and sensible on your consumer. Your customer should not really have to "figure out" the way to use your website, it's your position to build navigation easy.

[b][url=http://www.uggsunitedkingdom.co.uk/]ugg boots uk[/url][/b] In one more photograph for that fashion brand's marketing campaign, Phelps has evidently emerged from the bathtub squeaky thoroughly clean and able to drink tea with Larisa Latynina of Russia, seventy seven, who held the record to be the most adorned Olympian. She held the title for your previous forty eight a long time until eventually Phelps' effectiveness in London. Phelps now retains 22 medals, and Latynina, a former gymnast, held a document 18 medals..

Anonymous said...

|
|
Prepare proFuct/service literature, Fata sheets, catalogues, anF many others. within the principal languages with the major countries representeF For the show. Keep in minF that most countries outsiFe the house the U.S. IF you neeF [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet/[/url]
give your bash an exciting vibe but still market your small business, you coulF possibly make your Fiploma your theme. For example, iF you just graFuateF From regulation university, you woulF possibly ship graFuation invites using the scales oF justice embosseF in every corner or centereF on the leaFing. At your get together, you woulF possibly highlight the sort oF law you propose [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet/[/url]
pursue, this kinF oF as legal legislation, anF incluFe it in[url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]louis vuitton knolckoffs[/url]
your topic.