Saturday, July 5, 2008

A Four Letter Word

Compared with the rest of society, I believe Peace Corps Volunteers are a rather friendly lot. That’s not to say we don’t have a few minor defects. One particular imperfection I could shed light upon is a peculiar inferiority complex. It’s a specific diagnosis. You see, Peace Corps Volunteers have this abominable complex in the realm of Geography.
Having a lackluster knowledge in world geography seems counterintuitive to the goals, objectives, indeed the very essence of being a Volunteer. Nevermind the superfluousness of knowing the capital of Tonga (Togo’s so-called sister country), you’re a better man for it here.
As for myself, I rank rather low on the geography continuum. As a toddler, I was more interested in blocks than studying capitals. I’ve been a half step behind ever since. In my sixth grade Geography Bee, I was eliminated on the question, “What is the longest river in the world running south to north?”
I guessed the Amazon. Nice one, Trace.
Well, my career of geographic disappointment continues. The most recent failure is a noggin-scratcher, but by no means impossible.
Without further adieu, I present to you the first installment of Peace Corps Togo Geography challenges:

There are ten countries in the world that contain four letters. Name them.

You can find the answers at the very, very bottom of this page under “Peace Corps Challenge.”
If you correctly come up with all ten, feel free to post a victory note.
And just for the record, I was not able to come up with number 9 and 10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello you two!
I just wanted to post a note to say hi and let you know I think about you both a lot. I am glad to hear things are going well for you! I bet you will have some amazing stories to tell when you get home. Things in DC are going really well. I’m interning with a pretty big law firm and I really enjoy it. I am still trying to decide what to do after graduation (Aug 27th)… I think I may end up staying in DC (at least for one year or two). If you feel the need to be patriotic when you get back to the states you always have a place to stay in DC!! Hope you are having fun! Miss you both!
Ashlee